Wednesday, November 10, 2010

M.A.N.T.I.S.


I really loved this short-lived early nineties show starring Carl Lumbly (seen in BUCKAROO BANZAI and CAGNEY & LACEY) as a disabled scientist who invents a powerful exo-skeleton which enables him to become a superhero. It was created by Sam Raimi and BATMAN scriptwriter Sam Hamm. The problem is that what I enjoyed most about it was the pilot movie with its original and unique take on well-worn themes. The series itself coasted a long way on the goodwill from that film even though they changed the premise, replaced the characters and seemed to forget that M.A.N.T.I.S. was an acronym--he was NOT a bug superhero!

1 comment:

  1. Ditto on this show. I really enjoyed it, but as you say I mostly remember the excellent TV movie. I'd like to get this one on DVD sometime.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete